Sunday, September 18, 2005

Asians Galore

Lately I've been attended some productions done by the Vancouver Asian Comedy Theatre troupe. They are quite hilarious!! In most cases they cycle around the same local Asian actors so they're pretty familiaar to me now.

Couple weeks ago, I saw "Sex in Vancouver" and gave my mini-review about that. Live actors in a play who go through the Vancouver dating scene and encountering some Asian faux pas.

Another one that I saw last week was the Gala of the 48-hour Reel Asian Film Marathon....or something like that. My friend, who's closely knit with the local film community and even played a small role on-screen in one of these shorts, invited me. Basically you form a team of "artistes" and are given an object, a location, and a fortune cookie. You have to incorporate all these three elements into a 10 minute short. I was amazed at the quality of these shorts and in the time span you get to do it (only 48 hours!!). And also the diversity!! There was action, drama, comedy, romance! I especially liked the one about three asian daughters. The eldest one was pressured by the mom to get married but was still single. At the last minute she lied to her mom that she did have a boyfriend in efforts to relieve some of the pressure from her family. When it came time for the mom to meet the Bf, she accidentally found a handicapped white guy to come and pretend to be her bf. And then you know the rest...he wasn't handicapped at all and turned out to be the guy of her dreams!

Finally, the last one I saw was by the Assaulted Fish comedy troupe. It's made up of around 6 asians who did a "best of 2005" show of all their best sketches. It's so hilarious! I loved the sketch simulating a video on "How to interact with an Asian Canadian and how not to act!!" I knew Diana Bang from when she was in CVC and she's generally a funny person. I think she got into the right field of work! I hope they show more of these sketches!

That's it for my asian galore....

1 Comments:

Blogger ~.:*em*:.~ said...

dude! i wanna see your new hair!!! you should watch "full house" with rain in it! wakaka....ask 7 couw mo if she has it!! it's the best!! so sweeeet =)

4:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home